11.03.2011

Halloween Cookies

          This year I celebrated Halloween by trying a new recipe, since three years ago I purchased a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter, and couldn't stand another season to go by without it being used!  But, in all honesty, I had never made sugar cookies from scratch all by myself, so it was definitely an interesting challenge!  Especially since I made the dough, then realized I didn't have a rolling pin and had to rush out to get one.  But that's the learning experience, right.        
          Overall, these cookies were really simple, but personally, I think they could have used a little less almond extract.  But you can try them for yourselves!

Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:

-1 cup butter
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1 egg
-1.5 teaspoons almond extract
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2.5 cups all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

In a large bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until smooth.  Beat in egg and extracts.  Combine flour and sugar in another bowl, then add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut with flour dipped cookie cutters.  Place on lightly greased baking sheets.  

Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes.  Cool. Decorate. Celebrate.
          To finish them off I mixed the icing with food coloring to get the shades I wanted, which gave them all a lovely golden tone with a grass green stem to stand out!  And of course I added a few decorative sprinkles so they'd be a little extra fun!
I hope everyone had a safe and fun Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you and appreciate all the love notes I get :D