12.10.2012

Festival of Lights

This Friday was Greensboro's 24th annual Festival of Lights!  The first Friday of each December becomes the one night of the year, when downtown Elm Street fills with people, music, and snowblowers!  This was my third year attending, and it's gotten better every year!  Strolling down the sidewalk, feels like you're walking through a radio channel finder; first you'll hear a chorus group, then within 20 feet an acapella group will come into range, then another 30 feet a jazz band will tune in and then a few more feet an acoustic guitar and violin will sound.  Every genre is represented along the street adding festive Christmas carols to the atmosphere. 

The event also marks the lighting of the city Christmas tree in the center city park.  Next to the fountains and statue garden, it becomes a holiday landmark of Greensboro.  All the stores, salons, galleries and restaurants stay open late, serving hot chocolate or hosting games.  The local newspaper, The New & Record, hands out red reindeer antlers, wore by kids, adults, and puppies alike. Snowblowers are set up at the center point so the street becomes a winter wonderland!   This family friendly affair has become a holiday extravaganza for all ages!

5 comments:

  1. all the little shops with all the lights, seriously gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! Snow and the snowman!! I love it all. These pics are cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!! :) This looks like it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I'm Hanna and I found you on the blog hop! I love making new friends and love your blog:) YAY! I am your newest follower. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    xoxoxox Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you all had a wonderful time! I wish we had something like this in Hawaii. The snow looks so dreamy.

    Thank you so much for participating in our Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! I am following you, of course!! Wishing you and yours a lovely week!!

    Aloha,

    Jean {What Jean Likes}

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you and appreciate all the love notes I get :D